editSuggest an edit

St. Mary Parish Center

Religion / Churches

97 Herrick Rd,
Riverside, IL 60546

(708) 442-5747

Call
Call (708) 442-5747
Directions
Get directions to this
location on Google Maps.
Website
Open website
in new tab.
Share this business
on social media.

About

The earliest record of St. Mary is 1873 when a mission church was established. In 1875 the parish petitioned for the construction of the first church building at 45th and Joliet Road in nearby Lyons. This church was dedicated in 1876. In 1889 the parish had grown to 130 families and a site on Blackhawk Road in Riverside was acquired. The new church was dedicated December 8, 1901. By 1923 we had grown to 1,100 parishioners and construction on a new church began, with dedication of the current church and the original school occurring on September 12, 1926 by Cardinal Mundelein. By 1950 the school had grown to over 400 students and a school addition was constructed as well as a convent for the Sisters of St. Joseph who were teaching in the school. The rectory was constructed from 1973-1975. Following an intensive planning process in 1995, plans for new facilities were developed as well as a stronger focus on our mission and ministries as part of the Archdiocese of Chicago’s “Tomorrow’s Parish” process. The convent was sold in 1995 and was developed as a private residence. In 1997, the school was expanded with additional classrooms, a new library and a parish center/gymnasium. Our worship space was refurbished and dedicated in 2003.

Ads

codeEmbed

Ads Widget

close

Widget URL

Embed Code

Embed these ads anywhere HTML code is accepted by pasting the snippet below.